Tuesday, January 6, 2009

If you can't stand the heat.....


As another weekly segment that I would like to add to the "special" weekly blogs every Tuesday, is "Buy it, Borrow it, or Skip it." This blog's intention is to tell you if a product is worth your money or not.



It is my intention to use this weekly segment to let you know about various products that can make your life easier or more enjoyable. But, after reading this book, I felt like I had to share my thoughts.

I
just finished reading "Roasting in Hell's Kitchen," an autobiography about the world renowned chef, Gordon Ramsay.

The thing you need to know about me, is that I really admire this man. Sure, at times he can seem harsh, and even a little bit crass. But, he always says what we wish we could say in situations, but don't have the "bollocks" (to use a favorite word of Gordon's) to do so.

If only I could be a little more like him, then I would not be roped into doing things I don't want to do, and I would not end up sprinkling a little white lie here and there as to not hurt some one's feelings.

The book starts at his childhood, so you can see where he came from. After reading this chapter in particular, you really feel for him and what he had to endure. His father was an unrealistic man and keep uprooting his family so he could pursue his fly-by-night dreams all over the UK. His father would often encourage Gordon's younger brother Ronnie, who later became a heroin addict, to physically fight Gordon, to toughen them up. This would often end with Gordon hiding underneath of the dinner table crying and cowering with fear.

A later chapter describes the abuse he had to endure while he trained with top chefs throughout Europe. Verbal abuse, and even a few plates full of food flying at his head, were some of the things that went on in the kitchens that he studied under.

The book also goes on to more personal things like him dealing with his addict brother, as mentioned earlier, his wife and children, and his early football career. (That's soccer to us Yanks.)

But, after reading this book, I have more respect for him than I had before. He took all of the pain and ugliness that he had to endure as a child, and made it into this successful empire that is truly built on a passion for fine cuisine.

My recommendation is to buy this book. It is real page turner, and you will finish it quickly. The collection of color photographs is a nice touch and helps you connect with him even more. Like a fine marinate, this book will only get better with each read through.

No comments: