Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A good four letter word


I don't really blog about political things. I have opinions on politics, but I think that there are enough blogs out there to do that for us. (As a matter of fact, there are too many.) But, I do have to say something about the historic event that happened today. America elected a new breed of president into the White House.
Photo from Cnn.com


I am not only talking about Obama being a black man, but a man with a different paradigm. A man who grew up poor, and has worked for a living. I am not saying that past presidents haven't worked, but a lot of them have been blessed to be able to slide into a position in the family business. But, I do believe Obama has needed to work to live.

I don't want to give the wrong impression, I was not a big Obama supporter from the beginning. And some of my ideologies still do not match with his. But, I have to do something. I have to do a four letter word.....hope.

The state of the United States is in a bad spot. We are collapsing in on ourselves. People are losing jobs, the economy is hurting, there is so much fighting in the world and senseless killing. We as Americans need something to hope for. We need to have something to make us get up every morning and think that maybe today will be just a little better than yesterday.

I am sure I am not the only one saying this, but I would not want to be in his shoes. Like the great Titan, Atlas, he is precariously balancing the world on his shoulders. And let's hope that Atlas doesn't shrug.

I was watching an episode of Boston Legal the other day. One of the cases was about a gentleman wanting to sue the United States for not finishing what they started with getting involved with the horrible things going on in the Sudan. One of the things the judge said can also apply to today's events, "Because we're Americans. Because we're a nation-perhaps the nation-that's supposed to give a damn."

So let's all use that four letter word today, and HOPE for a better tomorrow.

No comments: