Monday, August 23, 2010

Take A Look, It's In a Book

Now that the luggage is all unpacked, and the last of the laundry has been folded and put away, I feel like I am able to do an update on the trip.

Everything went well, despite the fact I was sick and am still putting up with a little bit of congestion. (I have tried everything from Robitussin to Nightquil and nothing seems to rid me of this horrible plague.)

One of the highlights of the trip was the "30th Annual Bookworm Frolic" that is held by the Lancaster Mennonite Historical Society.

As you can see from these couple of photos, there are tons of books to choose from.

They had 25 different categories of books that ranged from Bibles, Commentaries, Bible studies to Textbooks and Education.

While Kev was at the conference one day, my parents and I stopped by the book sale to see if it was worth bringing Kev to on his day off. I do have to say that it was.

On the first day, I walked away with a family Bible from 1881 that had a lot of personal items stuck between the pages. (I will do a separate blog on this in a few days, I just haven't had time to take the photos yet.) The best part is it only cost $3! In fact none of our books were over $3!

But, I also got some fun books like this one:




This book is just one of the gems that I picked up at the booksale. For some reason, I love reading 1950s and 1960s books about "family life" and what the "wife's role" should be. (I need a good chuckle every once in awhile. ;)

Let me tell you, this one is a doosey! I would like to share one of my favorite quotes from the book: "There is a place in business for a woman as an assistant to man, but any woman who runs a business of her own, who meets the world on its own terms, often feels her frailty, often feels the need for stronger hands and shoulders and a bolder brain than her own." A bolder brain?! Really! And of course this book was written by a man.

We have come a long way, baby!

Other chapters include, "Wives to Be Subject to Husbands," " Courtship and the Danger of Petting," and "Adultry, the Ruin of Marriage and Morals."

So all-in-all it is a light hearted and fun read as you can see.

But don't take my word for it, head down to your local library and pick up "The Home: Courtship, Marriage and Children" by John R. Rice, D.D.., Litt.D. (That was for all of you "Reading Rainbow" fans!)

No comments: